Friday, June 3, 2011

A firefighters wife.

I never truly understood what women were complaining about when they become a firefighters wife. I always thought "you knew getting in the relationship it was going to be that hard" and actually that isn't true. Being a fireman's wife is one of the hardest jobs there is out there (beside's an active military wife). Your life revolves around their schedule ( even if you don't realize it). You plan play dates, doctors appointments, baby sitters, time with friends and family, and even your "alone" time around their schedule. I love being a fireman's wife but there's so much more out there. Granted I have only been one for a short amount of time, but you'd think after almost 2 years you'd get everything down pat. Recently my husband got a call for a woman who they weren't able to bring back, come to find out it was a part of our family's grandmother. They called us to come to "family night" due to the family wanting to meet him, and I thought I was prepared for what was to come. The daughter of the woman came out and thanked him for all that he did, and she knew that he did all that he could. The woman was crying and "thank you" wasn't enough for her, so of course as he's explaining it to her I started crying. It wasn't anything that had a real affect on me, it was the fact that you never see that enough. You always hear the bad side of the story, or you see when the blame gets put on them for something they had no control over. It's the little things like a "Thank you" that means the most to those men. They risk their lives more than most of us do or would even think about doing, but they do it and never think twice about it. Which leads me back onto the "firefighters wife" kick. Have you ever sat down with your husband or wife and asked: "So if you don't return home, what is to be done?" or "If you don't return, how should I explain it to our children?" Yeah, not the normal or easy questions to ask the one person you dedicated your whole life to but it has to be done. I enjoy being a firefighters wife more than anything in the world, and I thank God everyday where i'm at. I've never been more proud in my entire life then to watch the one person that I see the true colors of helping out someone in need and getting a thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment